Friday, May 31, 2013

Homeschooling a dyslexic Not So Hard




This should have been the warning label on the 1st homeschooling curriculum/ book I read! Little did I know, no matter how many books, advice, or web sites I came upon! 

Fasten your seat belts because the ride is about to go full throttle! There will be ups and downs, one moment the excitement of this twisty, tervy, upside down ,100 mph rocket fueled coaster, will leave you squealing with joy, laughing so hard you pea your pants, and the next minute your crying out of frustration and fear not knowing where the next blinding dark tunnel that jolts at every turn will take you!

 Hello my name is Valerie Joy, I'm a homeschooling parent of two 
wonderful, energetic, super smart girls that keep me on my very tippy toes, every moment of every day!

My homeschooling journey began 7 years ago with my oldest daughter entering kindergarten. Since the age of 16 I knew I would homeschool. ( please don't assume that I wanted to , I just always had that feeling).   Although I fought it, I bucked and kicked, told the Lord "No way Lord, not me, I can't, I wont"!

 I think this is where God chuckled at me and said, "We'll see about that"!

You see, I had an entergetic, spunky 3 year old entering preschool and my very articulate, very smart 5 year old enrolled in a private school, I was going to have a few hours a day of me time,wahoo! I just made the non refundable tuition enrollment fee, had the cute uniforms purchased and her hand picked lunch box ready to go. Then I heard The Lord say, "pull her out, hard times are coming"! So
 with an obedient heart, I did. Little did I expect the economy to crash, and we lost a huge chunk of 
our savings. Ok did I say huge, I ment all of it! If we would have kept her in the school, we would have gone into debt, trying to pay all of our bills. It was truly Devine intervention!

I then proceed to homeschool her with my husbands relunctant blessing. I went with a cookie cutter curriculum. I choose this particular curriculum because after getting online and seeing all the choices there was, I became physically nauseas and reminded God that this is not such a great idea! After all, "I'm dyslexic, I don't like to read, I'm mediocre at math, teachers told me I was stupid, remember God! How am I suppose to do this".  So I proceed with my cookie cutter curriculum.

I began with the grand idea that God called me, so this is going to be fun, easy and that my little angels would always do the school work that came their way.  LOL!

So the adventure begins, the cookie cutter curriculum was doing the job, it was easy! Hooray! My little sweet pea was learning and so smart, and as I taught, I learned things I never did. Imagine that, I was starting  kindergarten! It had its days but for the most part, we were smooth sailing!

In the mean time my 3 year old spunky monkey was struggling in preschool, yes preschool! Couldn't learn her abc's, drawing lines was hard and sitting still was very difficult. Every morning that I dropped her off, she would tightly clench my leg, scream " mommy don't go" and make my heart break. So I pulled her, I can homeschool a preschooler, easy peasy! 

And from the very beginning I knew there was more than just tears at school. I knew she was dyslexic! The roller coaster just got stuck upside down! 

Stay tuned for the continued story, because dyslexia was just the begging!


No comments:

Post a Comment