Sunday, March 23, 2014

Gluten Free Shhh! They will never know its (Quinoa) Brownies

    So I haven't posted since the holidays. Our whole holiday season was filled with grief from passing of several family members. Time has pass, and hearts are mending. I am back and have a few things to share.


    Our family is coming up on our 3 year gluten free anniversary. And to celebrate, I'm in the mood for brownies, really I'm in the mood for brownies every 28 day ;). Over the years I haven't quite been satisfied with what's out there in the brownie department, so I have gone with out my very favorite dessert for years now, feeling hopelessly deprived! On Friday I had a friend mention that she made quinoa brownies and I thought Eww! I have tried boxed brownies, rice brownies, pre-made stale brownies, even bakery brownies, but none have even compared to good ole' wheat flour brownies :(. 

But I thought I'd give a try to a recipe I found on line. Only they didn't set right. The batter was too watery. The chocolate baked on the top of the brownie, while the quinoa batter rested on the bottom. They were too moist and gooey, and the batter didn't cook in the middle of the pan. It reminded me of a awful attempt at bread pudding rather than brownies. It just wasn't right!!! So I went back to the drawing board and adjusted the recipe to make it better.

The brownies didn't last minutes in our house, we couldn't even wait for them to cool. The POOR DADDY didn't even get to try them (that's what happens when your in a house full of girls!)  I am excited to share this recipe with you all. I hope you enjoy. I am now working on a breakfast brownie ;) that will have zucchini and no sugar in it, chalk full of protein, only they will think it is carbo loaded (mawhaa!) I have a feeling that I will be able to make it delicious.


Gluten Free Shhh! They will never know its (Quinoa) Brownies.

  • 1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa (cooled)
  • 1/3 cup milk, cow or almond
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 /2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 pinches of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 5 tablespoons all purpose gluten free flour (I used Trader Joe's brand)
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used big chunks of chocolate chips, Enjoy brand, soy free) 
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  1. In a food processor or blender puree cooked cooled quinoa till fine and no chunks.
  2. Then add milk, butter, cocoa, vanilla, eggs, salt, xanthan gum, GF all purpose flour and sugar until smooth.
  3. Stir in chocolate chips. I used big chunk chocolate chips. 
  4. Pour into an 8×8 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
  5. Sprinkle with powder sugar for fun and add whipped cream! Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment