Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Why I love Classical Conversations for my Dyslexic, ADHD child!


Hello again, it has been a long time since I have made any posts.  I have been enthralled in getting back to the swing of things with school and activities.  We have added tutoring to our weekly regimen as well as occupational therapy for the dyslexia and ADHD. I will keep you posted on how that all turns out.



Why I love Classical Conversations for my 
Dyslexic, ADHD Child


I wanted to take a few moments and tell you why I love Classical Conversations for my dyslexic, ADHD daughter. As some of you may know, having dyslexia and ADHD has its side effects.  Lack of attention, foggy brain, and a hard time remembering facts to name a few.  So I wanted to talk a little bit about how Classical Conversations is training her brain to memorize and given her much needed confidence.  

Once a week we meet within our community and the tutor drills what is called, "New grammar." In new grammar the tutor introduces seven topics each week, History, English, Geography, Science, Math, Latin and a Historical Timeline. We then go home and drill these facts every day, we sing them, we play games, we trace, we point, and we recite them. We say it at the breakfast table, in the car, in the school room, while jumping on the trampoline or even hanging upside down from the arm of the couch. And sometimes my kids even drill me, to see what I know and what I've learned. 


This year we are learning American History, Cycle 3 and it is a repeat year in this cycle for us, (there are 3 cycles). I'm amazed to find how well she remembers all the information from three years back. This program has given us the tools in our learning tool belt, to tackle all of our learning challenges the same way we drill our memory work for CC. We are often are singing and dancing and making memory work fun. She has really come to learn the art of memorization and has found ways to memorize site words and spelling words.  I love this program because of the repetitiveness and the fact that the drilling is bringing constant memorization to her brain and exercising that muscle. 

Half the time she walks around the house singing history sentences and science facts without even knowing it. Being apart of this program has really boosted her confidence level. She feels very accomplished and successful in her school work. She is always one of the 1st kids to volunteer, (Even when it comes to reading out loud!) Often she will hear something on TV or adults talking about a subject and it triggers her memory, she begins to recite facts that match up with her CC memory work and has an ah-ha moment of understanding and accomplishment.

If you are homeschooling a dyslexic child who struggles with memorization, then being apart of this program can really help your child feel successful and be successful. Classical Conversations is fun, all the while exercising the brain muscle to memorize and take it into future learning experiences.



Watch this short video to learn more about Classical Conversations.
https://www.classicalconversations.com/welcome



Some fun things we do at home...





                                                 

Above:

This is a $1 store photo book that I purchased and downloaded the current cycle from CC connected and put it in the book. We keep this in our car and my older daughter drills us while we drive from one activity to the next. This is Foundation Memory work,  Essentials memory work and the IEW writing program vocabulary words.





I put the current week of memory work on the wall of the kitchen table. We listen to the CD at breakfast and read the back of a timeline card at dinner. I also have a list of the entire timeline so we can sing it at random.



 I have her use post-it's
 
instead of having her write out each of the charts out. 

You can do post-it's with multiplication table as well.





Multiplication Country CD cover at an angle
 We love to doe see doe to country math facts!

No comments:

Post a Comment