Saturday, October 26, 2013

Valerie's French Toast Substitute

    •  Every Saturday morning I get up and make waffles, pancakes, bacon, sausage and cut up fruit in bulk for the up coming week for my family. Two birds, one stone. Working hard today, so I don't have to put a lot of effort into making breakfast during the weekdays, everyone's bellies are full and ready for their day. I mix up my own waffle/pancake mix myself, using about 5 different flours. I don't keep a box mix in the house, because my family doesn't like any of them, except for one brand that cost a whooping $8 a box and only makes about 5 waffles. This morning I set out to make my bulk breakfast, only to find I didn't have enough flour to make even one batch of pancakes. Didn't matter much any ways, I wasn't in the mood for pancakes or waffles, I had a hankering for French toast! 

    •  French toast is my most favorite breakfast of all breakfasts. Of course I love French bread too and miss it very much, (Especially with a good cheese and Salami!)  Making French toast from a left over loaf was the best. With gluten free, there really is no (In my personal opinion,) decent substitute  for French bread or French Toast. In the past I had made French toast with name brand gf breads and homemade gf breads, none of them pleased me, they are so dense, that it is hard to enjoy them. But I do make them for my girls, they like it. "Man!" I didn't have enough bread either. So I thought I give Dutch baby pancakes a try. I scanned the web for recipes, they all call for cows milk, which I don't buy. I also didn't have some of the other ingredients that it called for either. Why my pantry was so bare this week, I don't know? What to do, What to do? Make it up from there! And I did! 

    • After quickly whipping up the ingredients (having exactly 1 cup of gf all purpose flour,) I patiently waited for it to cook. Uncertain how it would taste and even more unsure if the flour would cook through correctly. Ding! I pulled it out of the oven and was amazed how yummy it looked! (That's when I should have taken the picture.) When I tried it, I thought... Wow, super yummy, this taste like French Toast! My family gave it 4 out of 4 stars. Sydney said, "Amazingly Good mom!" and Jordan gave it two thumbs up and mumbled with food in her mouth " Yummy!"

    • Here it is,  my version of Dutch babies, which is now my substitute for French toast. It is also great for my Candida friends, because there is no yeast in them. Hope you enjoy! xoxo~V

P.S. I think next weekend, I'm going to try and make them Pumpkin flavor ;0). Happy Fall!

  • Valerie Dutch Baby Pancakes 

  • 1 C. Organic Almond Milk
  • 1 tsp Gluten Free Vanilla Extract
  • 4 Lg. Organic Range Free Eggs
  • 1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 C. Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour  ( I used Trader Joe''s Gluten Free Brand)
  • 2 Tbsp. Butter
  • Maple Syrup 

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and make sure the oven rack is in 
the middle spaceWhisk almond milk, vanilla, eggs, cinnamon and 
kosher salt in a medium size bowl. Vigorously whisk in the flour, a
 little at a time until smooth.
Melt 2 Tbsp of the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over 
medium heat until the butter is a light golden brown, and remove 
from heat.
Pour batter mixture into the melted butter skillet. Put the cast-iron
skillet into the oven and bake until  golden and puffed up, about
20 to 22 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. You don't want dried
out egg!
Remove from oven and serve immediately. Serve with yummy fruit
and drizzle with maple syrup.











No comments:

Post a Comment