Sunday, November 17, 2013

GlutenFree Amaretto Chocolate Chip Scones

          We are currently studying the great Charles Dickens and the wonderful story, A Christmas Carol. Tomorrow our  homeschooling co-op will be doing a Victorian age tea with the kids. The kids will take turns being servants and sophisticated aristocrats of the Victorian age, which of course calls for something yummy to eat. So I set out to make scones. My friend Cher, from Aunti Gluten's Barkery, once told me, "If your going to make scones, make them with the GF Bisquick mix." And I did.

*Side note, the M’lis Vanilla instant meal, I love this product. It is a gluten, lactose, soy, sugar, artificial sugar free product. It is sweet and yummy, and we have tried many protein flavored powders, which were all gross. This one is by far the best! I use it as an extra meal of protein for my picky eater, who is a carb fanatic. Shhh! She just thinks it's vanilla milk! They have chocolate too.  : ) 

Where to buy M’lis..
http://alternativehealthspas.info/products/vanilla-cream-organic-instant-meal-replacement-shake

Gluten Free Amaretto Chocolate Chip Scone ~ Lactose, Egg, Soy, and almost ;) sugar free!
Ingredients:
• 2 1/2 cups Bisquick Gluten Free mix 
• 1/2 cup M’lis Vanilla instant meal, (this is why you will need no sugar, it is naturally sweet, have I mentioned yummy too!?)
• 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips (I use dairy free, soy free, gluten free Enjoy brand chocolate chips)
• 1 1/3 cups almond milk 
• 1 teaspoon gluten-free almond extract (I use Flavorganics brand)
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper, (I also used stoneware).
2. In large bowl ( I use my KitchenAid with the flat beater), mix 1 1/3 Almond milk and 1 tsp almond extract. Slowly pour in and mix 1/2 cup M’lis Vanilla instant meal, and  2 1/2 cups Bisquick Gluten Free  until dough forms.
3. Use a spoon and fold in 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips.
4. Divide dough in half. On surface sprinkle sorghum flour, pat each half into a 6-inch round. Cut each round into 6 wedges. I used a knife with sorghum flour sprinkled on it to make cutting the dough easier. Place wedges 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.
5. Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove scones onto cooling rack.
 Serve warm with a hot cup of tea!
My girls loved them and my husband too, who never liked scones before! I love the almond flavor, it really popped.  If you have an allergy to nuts, switch up the almond milk for rice or dairy and the almond extract for vanilla extract.

ENJOY!



1 comment: